CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Emergency Arthrocentesis

After my last post, I ended up spending that monday night in the ER trying to get pain under control. Unfortunately, the rest of the week did not get any better. At my appointment on Wednesday at Hopkins, the doctor decided I needed arthrocentesis asap. My pain was uncontrollable and nothing else seemed to work.

I stayed overnight in Baltimore and went to his private practice the next day. We did the procedure under general on both joints. For those who do not know, arthrocentesis is done with two large needles, one pushing fluids and the other draining. During this procedure they are able to clean out the joints and inject cortisone. My doctor said it is also a good way to feel around and get a better idea of how damaged the joints are. It takes about 20 minutes per joint.

We discovered during this procedure my left joint is moderately damaged; they are not too concerned about it compared to the right side. The right is severely damaged, much more so than he had originally thought. He went ahead and made a mold for a mouthpiece during the procedure because I have trouble opening my jaw far enough when awake. The doctor now feels surgery is definitely in my near future, possibly as soon as 6 weeks away if insurance cooperates.

I have not been recovering as well as I had hoped from the procedure. The point of arthrocentesis is to relieve pain, but i'm still struggling significantly. Currently i'm taking at least 1 narcotic pain reliever a day, but hope to stop this soon. I'd rather stick with muscle relaxants and high dose Ibprofen if possible. While some pain from prior to the procedure is a little less, there is some new pain. I'm still very, very high on my pain scale.

I now have a new prescription for physical therapy, solely focused on my jaw. I'm my PT's first TMJ patient and he is excited to try some new things. I wouldn't want to go to anyone else even if they had experience; i've been with him for almost 8 months now and am comfortable where i'm at. I think we'll both learn something along this journey.

So, that is my update. It has been a very tough week but i'm hanging in there. Please pray i'm able to keep up with work as I wait for surgery. The pain is getting tougher to deal with each day that passes. My next appointment with the oral surgeon won't be until the insurance approves the mouthpiece and then it is made. It could be another two weeks and I don't know how i'll make it that long. Pray it goes fast.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I have been following Asher and Jacob's journey since almost the beginning and I found your new site on the prayer requests.I pray that you manage to get your pain under control until surgery. I know what it feels like when you are in so much pain and things don't go as fast as you would like and you don't know how you can possibly go through another day like this, but you do, because you have to. (i have chronic neck pain and we have yet to find the reason). I pray that the insurance comes through quickly so you get the mouthpiece hopefully it will relieve some of the pain. Hang in there, everyday you are getting closer to surgery, that's the way to see it.

    ReplyDelete